Shortcut Keys You Might Not Know About

By | 2007/02/20

Today’s tutorial might be a bit quick, but that fits along with the tips included. Speed up your work by using keyboard shortcut keys. Below I’ve listed some of the shortcut keys I use within during my day-to-day. If you have any more to offer please drop in a comment or blog about them yourself and ping back here.

nautilus / gnome:

ctrl-h : show hidden files

ctrl-t : move to trash

f9 : toggle side-pane

alt-home : jump to home folder

alt-enter : file / folder properties

alt-f1 : launch applications menu

alt-f2 : launch "run application" dialogue

ctrl-alt - right/left arrow : move to the next virtual desktop

ctrl-alt-shift - right/left arrow : take current window to the next virtual desktop

firefox:

ctrl-k : firefox search field

ctrl-l : firefox address bar

ctrl-pgup : next tab (left to right)

ctrl-pgdn : previous tab (right to left)

ctrl-t : new tab

ctrl-r / f5: reload page

ctrl-u : view page source

If you see any that I’ve missed share them below. These are the main ones that I use on a fairly regular basis and I’m sure the list isn’t complete.  I know it isn’t an all-encompassing list of shortcut keys, just those that I have found the most helpful.  Anything you can add?

57 thoughts on “Shortcut Keys You Might Not Know About

1. a7p

You forgot to mention ctrl-w to close views (tabs or windows) in Firefox.

2. Floris

“ctrl-t: move to trash”

What’s the difference with the delete key? It does just that here, move files to trash. If I want to bypass the trash and really delete a file in one go, I can press shift+delete.

3. D10

In firefox F6 also functions the same as ctrl+l

ctrl+b opens the bookmark side pane
    ctrl+h opens history side pane, and
    ctrl+y (ctrl+j in windows) will open the download window

4. aleska

I know this is probably too obvious to make the list, but since you mention ctrl-alt-(left or right arrow) might as well add the very commonly used alt-tab to cycle through active programs.

5. Paul Kishimoto

In Firefox:

F6 is also useful to rotate between the search/address bar and the current website.

Ctrl-Tab and Ctrl-Shift-Tab also cycle through tabs, one-handed (take a sip of coffee!)

Esc stops the current page load.

In the search field, Ctrl-Up and Ctrl-Dn cycle through the different search engines.

6. Michaël

ctrl+t in nautilus sounds dangerous indeed… people might try to create a new tab, and loose a file

Ctrl-L is definitely the most useful shortcut. I get very nervous when I see people who don’t know about this, try to point their mouse pointer at the end of the current URL, hit backspace 20 times, and start writing: http://www.etc… Then they take their mouse, go to the “Go” key, and then they wait…

1. Xacur

F6 works much better because is just one key, so that's the most useful XD.

7. Robert Devi

Thanks.

I’m not at my Linux computer, but the comment that “you may not know” means that they are not easily discoverable in Nautilus. If that’s the case, perhaps some suggestions should be forwarded to the Nautilus team so that they could be discovered.

Personally, I think that’s a weakness of Nautilus. Thankfully, the location button now exists, but I don’t remember any Nautilus feature that makes Ctrl-L an obvious shortcut. My own suggestion is to have a time-delayed mouse-over that says “View Full Location Path (Ctrl-L).

Could someone forward this comment to the right people?

8. Marius Scurtescu

Robert, have a look at Go / Location…, Ctrl+L is documented there. But you are right, it should also be added to the tooltip.

Other Nautilus shortcuts:
    - ctrl+a – select all
    - ctrl+n – new window
    - ctrl+shift+n – new folder
    - f2 – rename

and Firefox:
    - ctrl+f – find
    - ctrl+g – find again
    - alt+left – back
    - ctrl+i – page info
    - f11 – full screen

9. ivoencarnacao

How about when youre on a hurry and you need to Lock Screen?

On Windows i used a lot the Win Key + L, but in Gnome i have to mouse press Menu, Quit, Lock Screen, and it takes a lot of time…

Does anyone know this one?

10. Anders

Konqueror:

F9 – show sidebars
    F12 – show hidden files
    CTRL + Home – go to home directory
    ALT + Up – go up a level, both in a file system and on web pages
    CTRL + SHIFT + F – toggle full screen
    CTRL + M toggle menu visibility

Apart from that, a lot of the shortcuts mentioned for other apps works in konqueror as well.

11. Chris T.R.

To go back and forth in navigated directories in Nautilus use Alt+Left and Alt+Right respectively. Use Alt+Up to go to the parent directory.
    Ctrl+S selects files with a given patter. Very useful.

While using the Open File dialog in Gnome, type Ctrl+L and you get a location bar that supports auto completion. Very useful for navigating .hidden directories, since the Ctrl+H shortcut for showing hidden files is not available in this dialog.

For ivoencarnacao (see comment above): I think there’s no default key binding for locking the screen, but you can go to the Keyboard Shortcuts configuration dialog. There you’ll find an entry for Lock Screen, configure it at will [:

12. Juan

Gnome:
    CTRL+ALT+TAB: cycles focus through desktop and each panel.

About the lock screen key shortcut: my Ubuntu installation has “CTRL+ALT+L” for default.

13. ivoencarnacao