Paste-To-Terminal Keyboard Shortcuts

By | 2007/02/25

Update: as pointed out by SFA_AOK in the comments two more shortcuts have been added.

For ages man has toiled with pasting data into a terminal window by using the mouse. Right-Click, paste. Middle-click, Paste. Its all very tedious for all of us keyboard warriors. Those of us that are slowed down by the mouse and its pagan graphical goodness. No more! I present to you keyboard shortcuts that work within the terminal!

ctrl-insert : copy

shift-insert : paste

shift-delete : cut

shift-ctrl-C : copy

shift-ctrl-V : paste

Really. Give it a try. Copy something. Open a terminal. Paste. Mouse not required. What a beautiful day it is to be a keyboard warriors. You learn something new everyday.

(queue the small print) yes it is a little weird to get used to new shortcuts but it’ll be worth it. Plus, for those of us using Dvorak anyway the old-fashioned ctrl c v x aren’t in optimal positions anyway. Thanks goes to Aaron for sharing this tidy little nugget of keyboard goodness.

22 thoughts on “Paste-To-Terminal Keyboard Shortcuts

1. SFA_AOK

Maybe I’ve missed the point but: what was wrong with ctrl-shift C and ctrl-shift V?

2. SFA_AOK

Ah OK, just wanted to make sure you weren’t talking about something else that I was missing out on :)

3. Derek Buranen

For the record, Christer is talking about KDE’s Konsole.

Thanks for these as I never new copy or cut. I miss gnome-terminal’s shift+ctrl+c though.

4. Patrick

“Also, what exactly is shift-delete doing?”

I’m not sure about gnome, but in KDE shift+delte just deletes a file instead of moving it to the trash.

5. Pingback: Copia e incolla nel terminale, un paio di trucchetti at Yaab

6. Sam

how do you select the stuff to copy and paste?

And since your hand is already on the mouse to select, why shift your hand to the keyboard to do the rest?

7. GiM

Thanks, I was looking how to paste into (u)xterm with keyboard, shift-insert works for me.

8. Rocco Stanzione

One of my favorites is “!!”, which gets expanded to your last full command. Like, “vi /etc/apt/sources.list” – oops, “sudo !!”. Or, “rm testfile.c”, “svn !!”. Or, “find . -name ‘*!'” followed by “rm $(!!)”. You get the idea.

9. beerfan

The ctrl-shift-c and ctrl-shift-v keystrokes have to be some of the worst inspired ever.

10. roxport

Works for pasting things from web browser (Win PC IE) into vi (PuTTY session, using screen).

11. magaphoto

(humor)

You had me until you said you were using Dvorak keyboarding.

It reminded me of the scene in “Raising Arizona” whence the old con os stream-of-conciousness(ing) on the top bunk and he mentions “We ate sand.”

(Thanks for the hint. Useful.)

magaphoto

12. David Marsden

If you want to use Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V for cut and paste you can use Alt-F2 > gconf-editor > apps > gnome-terminal > keybindings > look for copy and paste > right-click > edit key > delete

13. Pingback: HackyPunk » Blog Archive » Paste-To-Terminal Keyboard Shortcuts : Ubuntu Tutorials : Dapper – Feisty – Gutsy – Hardy

14. Bob

Doesn’t work :(

I suppose this only works in a specific, unmentioned terminal? I’m using xterm in openbox in Debian.

15. Aree

In regard to change keybinding for copy to CTRL-C – This is not a good idea as in all LINUX based systems CTRL-C is reserved for killing a running process

16. Pablo Pages

I ‘m trying to perform the instructions below but I am cofused.
    Copy and paste means type in the Terminal window as well?
    Thans for your help.
    TERMINAL
    Launch a Terminal window (in /Applications/Utilities) and copy and paste:
    sudo /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit /etc/hosts

17. Oimel

Great!!!
    I searched a long time, I had HyperTerminal 7.0 PE – for 21 days…
    Now I can use my favourite again: Putty

Thanks a lot, mate, you saved my day :D

18. Pingback: How to Paste with the Keyboard | omigassplus