Install VMware Server 1.0.6 on Ubuntu 8.04 “Hardy”

By | 2008/05/30

Today I needed to setup a couple of virtual machines for a client and realized that I had removed my installation of VMware Server.  Off I went to the VMware download page and what did I find?  A day-old release of VMware Server 1.0.6!  I figured you’d all appreciate an updated blog post on how to install VMware Server 1.0.6 on Ubuntu 8.04, so here we are.  (This is much simpler than the previous post, How To Install VMware Server 1.0.5 on Ubuntu 8.04)

Downloading the Requirements

The first step, of course, is to download VMware Server 1.0.6. You’ll want to download the .tar.gz version.  This command can be used for a direct download:

wget -c http://download3.vmware.com/software/vmserver/VMware-server-1.0.6-91891.tar.gz

The second step is to install some development tools that we’ll need to get things running. Use the following command or click the package names to install the requirements:

sudo aptitude install build-essential linux-kernel-devel linux-headers-generic xinetd

You will also need to generate a serial number to run VMware Server. Visit this link to register and generate the number of codes you might want. Remember to print the codes or write them down because in my experience they are not emailed to you.

OK, at this point we should have all of the requirements, now we can get to work…

Installation and Configuration

Let’s unpack the VMware archive that we downloaded and run the VMware installer.

tar xf VMware-server-1.0.6-*.tar.gz
cd vmware-server-distrib
sudo ./vmware-install.pl

The Last Step

If you attempt to run vmware at this point you might notice that it spits out some nasty errors and complains at you. There is one more thing we need to setup.

Basically VMware is missing and complaining about some cairo libraries and gcc. So, the simple fix for this is to point to them by using a symbolic link:

sudo ln -sf /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.2.3/libgcc_s.so /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libgcc_s.so.1/libgcc_s.so.1
sudo ln -sf /usr/lib/libpng12.so.0 /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libpng12.so.0/libpng12.so.0

At this point you should be able to launch vmware and enjoy some virtualization goodness.  Enjoy!

90 thoughts on “Install VMware Server 1.0.6 on Ubuntu 8.04 “Hardy”

1. Roger Binns

I finally got annoyed with VMWare Server only being available in the Ubuntu partner repository many months after each release that I switched to Virtual Box. The only downside is that bridged networking is more of a pain to setup but other functionality is nice or even better than VMWare.

Doing manual installs results in untracked detritus spewed all over your filesystem which can build up over time.

2. Lorna Mitchell

Great tutorial – I actually needed this yesterday, you missed me by 12 hours, but it looks spot on and I know its here for next time :)

3. Timucin Kizilay

I’m using vmware-server 1.04 on my ubuntu 6.06 production server. Should I upgrade? Is there a big reason to upgrade?

4. \'Adli Ikhwanur Ifkar

Hi, thanks to your post. I’m so frustated that i want to downgrade my ubuntu back to the old gutsy. Guess i’m gonna check your website regularly for some new tutorials!

^_^v
    Shadowbane

5. michele

None of the pre-built vmmon modules for VMware Server is suitable for your
    running kernel. Do you want this program to try to build the vmmon module for
    your system (you need to have a C compiler installed on your system)? [yes]

Using compiler “/usr/bin/gcc”. Use environment variable CC to override.

Your kernel was built with “gcc” version “4.1.3″, while you are trying to use
    “/usr/bin/gcc” version “4.2.3″. This configuration is not recommended and
    VMware Server may crash if you’ll continue. Please try to use exactly same
    compiler as one used for building your kernel. Do you want to go with compiler
    “/usr/bin/gcc” version “4.2.3″ anyway? [no]

For more information on how to troubleshoot module-related problems, please
    visit our Web site at “http://www.vmware.com/download/modules/modules.html” and
    “http://www.vmware.com/support/reference/linux/prebuilt_modules_linux.html”.

Execution aborted.
    we can help me?thanks

6. Joe

thanks – it works! I have been trying for a long time to get bridged networking to work and think I have tried every tutorial on the internet – none work for me. NAT does work well.

I run Hardy on amd64. Any thoughts?

7. michele

resolved!!!! thank yuo very much for your instructions,michele

8. Johnathan

Thanks for the help! Worked perfectly!

John

9. wangqiang

How can i install vmware server1.0.6 on ubuntu8.04 server? Thank you!

10. daniel

hi. i installed 1.0.6 exactly the way on this page. it installed ok. but when i execute it, it comes up with starting vmware and then it never actually open the console.

PLS HELPPPPPPPPPPPP

11. George

Excellent post man! Actually, I also stumbled on the new version of vmware server the other day but just didn’t have the beans to install it properly (the error messages!)

Thanks a lot!