Install Google Earth on Ubuntu 8.10 “Intrepid Ibex”

By | 2008/11/14

Recently I blogged about “What Do You Do Post-Install?” to find out what little tweaks everyone applies to their systems on a fresh machine.  It appears that a lot of you enable the Medibuntu repository right away and take advantage of that for media and codecs.  Did you know there are also other applications available, like Google Earth?

This post is an update to a previous article I wrote, this time specific to Ubuntu 8.10 “Intrepid Ibex”.

Configure the Medibuntu Repository

As mentioned above, the first thing that you’ll need to configure is the addition of the Medibuntu repositories.  Setting up this third-party repository can be done by way of a few quick commands:

sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/intrepid.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list

sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install medibuntu-keyring && sudo aptitude update

This will add the Medibuntu repository, import the Medibuntu GPG key and make the new packages available.

Install Google Earth

To then install Google Earth simply use:

sudo aptitude install googleearth-4.3

You should now have Google Earth added to your “Applications > Internet” menu and, assuming your video card supports the requirements, you’re ready to virtually travel the planet!

Depending on your video card you may want to disable the atmospheric rendering, which can greatly increase performance. This can be done by unchecking the following setting:

View > Atmosphere

If, for some reason, Google Earth doesn’t load properly or crashes on your machine you could try to revert to an older version which seems to have less issues. To do that remove the 4.3 version and try the 4.2:

sudo aptitude remove googleearth-4.3 && sudo aptitude install googleearth-4.2

38 thoughts on “Install Google Earth on Ubuntu 8.10 “Intrepid Ibex”

1. wahoobob

I wonder about installing as sudo. seems to open your machine to mischief.

2. jerkface

I would love to know what wahoobob does to install without using sudo

3. Vadi

You need to use sudo to install a program on Ubuntu. Learn the basics please before trolling.

4. Sage

Well, it IS possible to install some programs without sudo, like, with chroot’ing into your home dir etc, but it is hardly worth the hassle.

5. Jonathan Lozinski

You don’t make a mention of what you do about compiz and uglyness with google earth. Do the wikipedia references etc.. work right for you? If so, how?

6. wahoobob

I was referring to the need to enter my password everytime google earth starts. Have I missed something in the install?

7. aura

It not possible to not to use sudo to install package or do other admin stuff. You have to enable root account and do things as root itself.

To enable root account:
    1) Open terminal and type sudo passwd root
    2) Set new password for root.

Next time you want to do admin stuff or need root privilege, type su – and enter root password.

You don’t need to sudo anymore. Perhaps wahoobob did that :-)

8. Blaine

Please… I installed just fine with sudo. Why do so many people have issues with sudo???

9. john

Well this didn’t work for my 8.10 amd64 ver.
    All I have is a bunch of broken packages.

10. me

How the h@ck do I configure googleearth right after installing it within terminal?

11. Steve Withers

On my Acer laptop, Google Earth 4.3 and Ubuntu 8.10 do not play nicely. The part of GE that shows the Earth is broken up into patches with distubed video and each time it updates in wants to appear “above” the GE gui…..It simply isn’t usable. It doesn’t crash…..but the display of the Earth is a mess and the map is a mixture of inappropriate pieces…..like western Australia isn’t really in South America….

12. vatoer

on my dell latitude D820 ,googleearth 4.2 doesnt work. show for second than cling….. magically its disappear again,.. somebody help me pls

13. Jalal

I have the same problem with my Dell Lat. D820

14. maja

same problem with SONY Vaio and 64bit IntrepidIbex… hlp pls!