I spent the afternoon with herlo tinkering & hacking away on our different projects we have. One thing that he has been trying to do is setup Gaim to auto-join the long list of IRC channels that he connects to regularly. I have had this feature setup for quite some time so I thought I would blog the instructions for everyone else wondering. note: I had assumed this information was available elsewhere but he tells me that he has yet been unable to find it.
- Select “Buddies” and then select “Add Chat”
- In the “Account” drop-down list select the IRC account you want to use
- In the “Channel” option enter the channel address (example: #ubuntu-utah)
- In the “Password” option you can enter a channel password (only if required)
- In the “Alias” option you can set the Alias of the channel (example: Ubuntu Utah)
- In the “Group” option you can select your Buddy group to include the new listing
At this point you should have a new buddy listed in the group selected above. Now you need to simply set the “Auto-Join” setting for that user. If you don’t see the user listed double-check that you are connected to the IRC channel.
- Right-Click the newly added user (example: Ubuntu Utah)
- Select “Auto-Join” which should highlight the checkbox (should be second option)
At this point you can try to disconnect & reconnect to your IRC server. Any new “Chats” that you’ve added and set to “Auto-Join” should auto-connect at this point.
Have fun, enjoy. If something happens not to work let me know or point out what I’m missing.
Blogged with Flock