I recently re-installed my machine using the latest Ubuntu 7.10 alpha “Tribe 5”. There are some things that I thought the public would like to hear about, and also a few bugs I found and submitted. If you are able to duplicate the bugs please follow the links and offer any additional information you can.
Points of interest:
- Resolution detected and setup properly out-of-the-box (1280×800, intel graphics chipset – macbook)
- Compiz “normal effects” enabled by default out-of-the-box
- Fast-user switching enabled and applet applied out-of-the-box
- 2.6.22-10-generic kernel (w00t!)
- Appears to have main restricted universe and multiverse enabled by default, also the commercial repo is listed but de-activated (easy activation via radio-button click)
- System-config-printer replacing old printer utility. Zero configuration required for supported printers. Connect and Print.
- Partition table recognized as gpt on my macbook. Minor but its getting smarter 🙂
Bugs of interest: (bugs I submitted or appended today)
- Minor firefox redrawing issue with effects active
- Updates and restricted driver manager notification displaying improperly
- Installation CD does not contain full support for English US language set?
- Setting and removing “name” field during install partitioning locks installer
- X not functioning properly during installation on some intel chipsets
- Firefox does not restart after installing extensions if compiz effects active
- Duplicate menu entries in the Places menu
None of these were show stopping bugs. Some minor annoyances, some things that need to be polished a bit.
For those wondering I am running this on a C2D macbook (early 2007 release). I am using LVM (for those hoping for LVM improvements), and running the 64bit release.
Again, I invite you to help improve the next release of Ubuntu by testing the alpha within a VM or spare machine. The more bugs we can squash previous to the final release the more polished Ubuntu 7.10 will be!