Ok, some of you might notice a small hiccup in the blog-time continuum. This is because I reverted to a backup earlier in the day after rebuilding the database from a fresh installation. What a pain, let me tell you. If you notice anything weird about the blog please let me know. From my testing I wasn’t able to find anything. This *should* be a good, working, fresh copy of the blog now.. I hope.
How Did I Fix It?
- I installed a new blog from scratch at a separate location using the latest version of WordPress.
- I used the Manage > Export feature within the original WordPress to export the posts, comments and categories.
- I used the Import > WordPress feature within the new blog to pull in the posts, comments and categories.
- I verified functionality, manually updated the blog name and URL, etc (mainly a few things on the options menu)
- Exported the new database via phpmyadmin and saved it to disk.
- Opened the .sql file with vim and did a find/replace to update the new blog url for the original (ie; :%s/zelut.org/ubuntu-tutorials.com/g)
- Verified the ‘siteurl’ value and ‘home’ value both matched the original site URL address.
- Threw out the original blog via phpmyadmin by selecting the database, ‘check all’ on the tables and selecting ‘drop’.
- Imported the newly exported and updated database to overwrite what was just dropped.
- Log back into the original site and the blog should be functional.
MAKE SURE YOU HAVE RECENT BACKUPS IF YOU ARE GOING TO FOLLOW THESE STEPS. STEP 7 WILL WIPE OUT ALL DATA FROM YOUR CURRENT BLOG. PLEASE UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE DOING. I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR LOST DATA. THIS IS MERELY THE STEPS THAT I TOOK AFTER NOT BEING ABLE TO FIND A SOLUTION ELSEWHERE. ALWAYS KEEP REGULAR BACKUPS OF YOUR BLOG!