After some testing on some of my less-popular blogs I’ve upgraded this one to WordPress 2.5. The whole ordeal seemed fairly painless (although with the number of blogs I host I really should consider WPMU).
I use svn to manage my installations which makes it really simple. If you’re considering an upgrade, these are the steps I followed:
- Make a backup of your current data–can’t be too safe. Export your current database & php.
- De-activate current plugins
- change to the root directory of your blog and execute:
svn sw http://svn.automattic.com/wordpress/tags/2.5/
- I had an issue with Akismet, so I also then did:
- rm -r wp-content/plugins/akismet/
- svn up
- visit http://your-site.com/wp-admin/upgrade.php
- re-activate plugins
I want to congratulate the WordPress team for a great release. Things look really sharp this time around and there look to be a lot of UI improvements. I’m also glad to see I didn’t have any issues upgrading like I did after the early 2.2.x series.