I realize it has been more than a month now since my last post. That is definitely the longest hiatus I’ve taken from blogging since the start of this site. Let me give you a heads up regarding recent events.
1) I recently started a new job here in Salt Lake. I am no longer a traveling Linux instructor. Although I enjoyed that job very much, I did not want to keep traveling so regularly so I found something close to home. I’m now a system admin for dozens of Red Hat servers, which allows me to work locally and frequently telecommute. Working from home with my family sure is nicer than working in a different city every week.
2) I figure I should join the naming meme, although I’m sure I’ve seen this before. I should mention that I have no creative naming scheme for my machines. I name them what they are, and since I have such a diversity of hardware that ends up creating unique names.
- macbook – my laptop
- 007 – my EeePC (because everything is smaller in the spy world!)
- sparc – the old Sparc IIe beast I was given
- iMac – my wifes iMac desktop
- martian – my OLPC (because its green and has funny anteanna)
- media – my media server
- brick – my new work laptop. Dell laptop cases always look so bulky to me.
See, I told you they were boring names. I’ll be back to blogging one of these days after I get into the rhythm of the new job. Until then, keep on keeping on.