In less than a month I’ll be presenting at the Utah Open Source Conference regarding GNOME UI Customizations. This topic will cover usage of the graphical gconf-editor as well as using command-line tools to track and implement UI changes. In preparation for this event I would like to ask for public feedback regarding common desktop customizations. Please comment or email me regarding UI changes that you make to your desktop.
To get started with some ideas, here are the most common changes that I make:
- Move bottom panel to top
- Shrink both panels to 19 pixels
- Update system font to Droid Sans (ttf-droid package), 8pt font
- Updated workspace switcher to four workspaces
- Activate GNOME-based compositing
- Set gnome-terminal to white-on-black, Droid Sans Mono, 8pt font. Disable scrollbar and menubar
- Set custom wallpaper, screensaver and GDM login screen
I’d like to make sure that my presentation can cover the most interesting and popular changes to the UI. If you would like to share the changes you make, please comment. Feel free to include links to screenshots, GNOME-look.org references, etc.