I’m very happy to announce the availability of my new book, “Instant Ubuntu“! I spent most of the summer working on this and I’m very happy to finally see it published. This book is written for those brand-new to Ubuntu. The book includes step-by-step installation instructions, a tour of the Unity desktop and an outline of the top features and applications. My hope is that it will be a useful tool for those making the switch from Windows.
Instant Ubuntu is your complete guide to making the switch to Ubuntu.
What you will learn from this book
- Download and burn the free Ubuntu installer DVD
- Connect with friends and family online using popular social media platforms, email, and chat
- Use the Ubuntu Software Center and install new applications
- Explore the included multimedia applications, and play music and watch videos
- Set up automatic backups stored securely in the Ubuntu One cloud
- Be productive at work or school with the LibreOffice productivity suite
- Install up-to-date drivers to support cutting edge video and network hardware
- Join a worldwide community of open source enthusiasts
Ubuntu is widely considered the worlds’ most popular Linux distribution. Focusing on simplicity and ease of use, it provides an intuitive desktop environment suitable even for the novice user. Built by a worldwide team of developers, Ubuntu provides a welcoming approach to software.
Starting out with detailed instructions on the installation, this book will walk you step-by-step through the basics of getting started. Once you’re up and running, you’ll be given a full tour of the Ubuntu Dash and Launcher, followed by an outline of the top applications and features.
Get to grips with a new technology, understand what it is and what it can do for you, and then get to work with the most important features and tasks. This title is a step-by-step guide to installing and using Ubuntu easily and quickly.
Who this book is for
If you are interested in exploring what Ubuntu Linux has to offer, this is the book for you. “Instant Ubuntu” is written from the standpoint of a beginner. All you need to get started with this book is a very basic understanding of computing, such as the ability to burn a DVD and navigate the Internet.