Category Archives: Community

The XO laptop has arrived!

I came home from work this evening to a very pleasant surprise!  The XO laptop I ordered had arrived in a smaller-than-expected box.  I hope the child on the other end of this donation is as excited as I am! I’m actually blogging this from the XO browser on my home wireless network.  More details… Read More »

Continued Success of US Local Teams Project!

I just finished atteding the latest Ubuntu Community Council meeting in #ubuntu-meeting and want to report on the latest success we’ve had within the LoCo project here in the US. Four teams were up for approval and all four of them absolutely did a fantastic job. Recently approved are Georgia, New Jersey, New Mexico and… Read More »

Give One, Get One Program Begins Today

As has been seen on many other blogs this morning the Give One, Get One program for the One Laptop Per Child program began today.  This is a limited offering within the US and Canada as I understand where donating $399 to the program gives one of the laptops to a child in a developing… Read More »

Utah Multi-Distro Release Party

The Ubuntu Utah Team participated in the Utah Multi-Distro Release Party today. We heard presentations from the three major distributions that have had a release within the last month. Ubuntu 7.10 “Gutsy Gibbon”, Fedora 8 “Werewolf” and openSUSE 10.3. We also heard a presentation from some of the local OSX nerds. I’ll give it to… Read More »

Give One, Get One : One Laptop Per Child

I realize I have been a bit lax on the tutorials this week and I promise to pick up again really soon.  The week after UDS required a bit of catch up time on other things, and it didn’t help that I’m also on the road for work this week.  I’ll get back to it… Read More »

Thoughts about UDS Boston

I’m home from the Ubuntu Developer Summit (Boston 2007) and wanted to get a few of my thoughts out on virtual paper while they are still fresh. We have gone over so much information this week that I feel a bit of information overload, but it has been well worth it and a *lot* has… Read More »

Ubuntu Developer Summit : Day 1

I finally have a few minutes to blog about the Ubuntu Developer Summit now on the morning of the second day.  The first day was a blast and a *lot* of information!  Basically, as someone described it at the beginning of the day, is its like “speed dating for ideas”.  We’re basically sitting around tables… Read More »

Heading Out to the Ubuntu Developer Summit

I’m about to head to bed for the nite.  First thing in the morning I’m getting on a plane and heading out to the Ubuntu Developer Summit in Boston.  I’m excited to be spending a week planning Ubuntu’s next release, 8.04 “Hardy Heron”.  I feel very privileged to be invited and hope to help get… Read More »

I’m Asking For Your Help Spreading the Word

As many of the regular readers out there know I enjoy trying to educate the public about Ubuntu and Linux in general. By day I teach Linux as part of a company called Guru Labs. By nite I am a blogging super-hero that tries to document simple steps to making your Ubuntu machine more productive.… Read More »