How to Install VMware Server on Ubuntu 7.10

By | 2007/09/26

UPDATE: This tutorial has been updated to half as many steps.  Please use the updated tutorial available:  Installing VMware Server on Ubuntu 7.10 “Gutsy Gibbon” : Updated.

UPDATE: For those running VMware Server 1.0.3 there is an updated version available.

As I mentioned a few posts ago (How to Install VMware Server on Ubuntu 7.04) I would be outlining how to install VMware Server on Ubuntu 7.10. These steps are a bit different from Ubuntu 7.04, as the canonical commercial repository is not up to date with the alpha releases of Ubuntu 7.10. There is a workaround however that can help you get VMware Sever installed.

Installing VMWare Server on Ubuntu 7.10

1. Download VMware Server source from the VMware website.
  2. Download this installer patch. (source reference)
  3. Extract all the archives to some location on your system (tar -zxvf VMware-server* ; tar -zxvf vmware*)
  4. Ensure that you have build-essential installed in order to compile these sources (sudo aptitude install build-essential)
  5. Install the xinetd server (sudo aptitude install xinetd)
  6. Run sudo ./vmware-install.pl located within the vmware-server-* unpacked archive.
  7. Select all the default options *EXCEPT* do not compile the modules at this point. (Do you want this program to try to build the vmmon module for your system? NO)
  8. Run sudo ./runme.pl located within the vmware-any* archive. This will launch step 8.
  9. Select the default options and this time answer YES to compile the proper modules.
  10. Run vmware-server using the command vmware or via your Applications Menu.

Basically, at this point, VMware Server needs to be installed manually from source until the canonical commercial repository catches up and Ubuntu 7.10 is final. Until then this should work for manually installing.

note: if you update your kernel you will need to re-run the scripts to regenerate and recompile VMware Server for your updated kernel. I’m guessing this close to beta and final releases that we wont have any more kernel updates.. but I’m sure that will soon prove me wrong. Just be aware.

71 thoughts on “How to Install VMware Server on Ubuntu 7.10

1. Igor Guerrero

OMG OMG OMG….

A link to my blog in ubuntu-tutorials :)

I can’t believe it :’(

Do you think if there is a chance that I can get syndicated to http://planet.ubuntu.com

To much to ask right?… anyway is a pleasure to help you.

2. Will Smith

I got a little ahead of the game and installed vmware on gutsy before I read your post. It is up and running and seems to be doing fine. What does the patch do though? Should I reinstall and use the patch this time?

3. sameer

Hi,

I tried to install vmware on 7.10 Beta and once I invoke it from terminal with “vmware” I get a message “vmware is installed, but it has not been (correctly) configured
    for this system. To (re-)configure it, invoke the following command:
    /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl.”

When I invoke Vmware from Applications then the application dies. Can you please help?

I already have a registration key. My build-essential is the newest version and so is my gcc. I get the same result with and without the vmware 113 patch.

4. Allan

Hi ,
    Thank you so much for this tutorial, it came in handy at the right time, also i think your site is great and that you have put a lot of effort on it, keep up the good work.

5. Pingback: centos on ubuntu with vmware server « Deadwait’s grave

6. marru

Hi all,

I’m running ubuntu 7.10 (beta) with the latest updates. Kernel 2.6.22-14-generic.

I’m having the same problem sameer had:

“vmware is installed, but it has not been (correctly) configured
    for this system. To (re-)configure it, invoke the following command:
    /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl.”

Also, what’s the patch for?

Anyone?

Thanks

7. Pingback: How To Install VirtualBox Open Source Edition on Ubuntu 7.10 : Ubuntu Tutorials : Dapper - Edgy - Feisty - Gutsy

8. Pingback: How To Install VMware Tools on Ubuntu Guests : Ubuntu Tutorials : Dapper - Edgy - Feisty - Gutsy

9. geekster

I ran through all the instructions and no joy, I got the not configured correctly error, did some more research and found a new any-any file “114″ at http://platan.vc.cvut.cz/ftp/pub/vmware/, I thought that would so it but same error, finally I found a note on one of the sites to remove a file as follows > sudo rm /etc/vmware/not_configured , that did it, up and running

10. Pingback: robjam.es » Install VMWare-Server on Ubuntu Gutsy (7.10)

11. Monty

Worked perfectly. You saved the day for me! Thanks.

12. tanakskool

Hi.. This tutorial worked just fine to me.. Thanks!

13. Kostas

Very good guide. Worked perfect for me.

However, could you advise on how to uninstall it safely in case vmware-server appears on the Canonical repositories?

Thank you very much.

14. Sergaratas

lol ty, i love u i can’t run my virtual machines after install ubuntu 7.10 on my pc, now run perfectly :)

15. luke

Kostas, to uninstall VMWare Server, just open a terminal, and type ‘sudo /usr/bin/vmware-uninstall.pl’. (No quotes)

16. S

I’m having the same issue as SAMEER…. any suggestions???