VMware Server 1.0.7 on Ubuntu 8.10 “Intrepid” (2.6.27-7-generic)

By | 2008/11/01

UPDATE: These instructions should work for VMware Server 1.0.8 an the 2.6.27-8 kernel as well.

Based on a request in the Ubuntu Tutorials Forum I spent some time this morning researching VMware Server on the new Ubuntu 8.10 release.  Google was quickly helpful, and I was able to get VMware Server 1.0.7 running on a fresh install of Ubuntu 8.10 “Intrepid”.  Here are the steps I took toward getting this installed and working.

Download the dependencies and components

You’ll need to, of course, download the VMware Server .tar.gz file.  This can be done using this command:

wget -c http://download3.vmware.com/software/vmserver/VMware-server-1.0.7-108231.tar.gz

There is also a patch to get this to compile properly.  VMware has regularly been guilty of not keeping up with the latest kernels.  This patch will help correct this problem:

wget -c http://www.insecure.ws/warehouse/vmware-update-2.6.27-5.5.7-2.tar.gz

And the one last thing we’ll need are the compiler tools, which can be installed using this command (or click the package name to use aptURL):

sudo aptitude install build-essential linux-kernel-headers xinetd

Now that we have all of the dependencies and archives downloaded we can unpack them.  In the same location where you downloaded the .tar.gz files (likely your home folder or Desktop), run the following command:

tar xf vmware-update*.tar.gz
tar xf VMware-server*.tar.gz

Installing VMware Server 1.0.7 + patch

We’ll now start the installation.  First we need to install the core vmware application.  We’ll then patch the configuration script, and configure the system.

cd vmware-server-distrib/
sudo ./vmware-install.pl

On my installation I used the defaults until it asked me if I’d like to run the vmware-config.pl configuration script.  At this point select [no].

Once this has finished and you’ve quit at the configuration option, use these commands to patch the config:

cd ../vmware-update*/
sudo ./runme.pl

This script will patch the configuration and then again ask you to run the vmware-config.pl configuration script.  This time around select [yes].  On my installation I selected the defaults for the remaining questions and my installation works fine.

Good luck.  Any issues, give the Ubuntu Tutorials Forum a try.

49 thoughts on “VMware Server 1.0.7 on Ubuntu 8.10 “Intrepid” (2.6.27-7-generic)

1. ubu-fan

Does anyone knows if this tutorial works for VMWARE SERVER 1.0.6
    I’d rather use 1.0.6 because i hate the Browers UI in 1.0.7 an 1.0.6 works better with my PC.

2. Christer Edwards Post author

@ubu-fan – The UI in 1.0.7 is the same as 1.0.6. The major UI change took place in 2.x, which I agree is not my favorite.

3. Aguba

I Followed the steps and everything was going well until this happened.

gcc: error trying to exec ‘cc1plus’: execvp: No existe el fichero ó directorio
    make[2]: *** [/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/common/task.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only] Error 2
    make[1]: se sale del directorio `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.27-7-generic’
    make: *** [vmmon.ko] Error 2
    make: se sale del directorio `/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only’
    Unable to build the vmmon module.

For more information …

Execution aborted.

4. ubu-fan

@ chris edwards
    Guess i got a bit mixed up with the versions;
    thnx for the info, i will be upgrading to 1.0.7

5. DannO

@ubu-fan – It looks like the patch worked fine with my VMware 1.0.6. Just in case you didn’t want to upgrade yet.

6. fatpunk2

Super tutorial, 1.0.7 works fine for me (except my “fingers bug” when entering serial lol)

7. Sam

I followed these instructions with clean install of Ubuntu 8.10. Vmware Server 1.0.7 was installed and I can open it and run VMs unfortunately the only nagging glitch is that my Control-Alt-Delete-Super keys and Up/Down/Left/Right keys have been mismatched somehow. The keyboard mapping is NOT correct. However the QWERTY alphabet keys seem OK. This presents an issue when logging at the Windows login prompt. I can still use the Menu option for “Send Ctrl+Alt+Del”, but trying to use keyboard shortcuts inside the Guest VM is subsequently affected. How to get around this? Did a websearch but did not find solution. HELP! Please email me if you have suggestions.

8. Ian Weydert

YES, thank you so much! This worked perfectly with VMware Server 1.0.8 on my end. Thank you thank you thank you!

9. Art

I just upgraded from 8.04 to 8.10 and had to fix vmware.

This tutorial worked great, thanks!

10. Lee

thanks a lot. The tutorial is perfect. Installed Vmware1.07 without any glitches -
    One query though –
    I get a message on the bottom left bar saying -You have not installed vmware tools

- any idea how to install these

11. Bruno Gonçalves